The area around Heavenly View Farm is rich in history.
Mount Sterling is a small, friendly city steeped in the history of early Kentucky and proud of its heritage. Many sites and buildings in our town are found on state and national historic registers. Through over 200 years of trial and endeavor, Mount Sterling has grown from an infant born in the wilderness into the progressive, mature city its citizens know today.
In the year 1775, Daniel Boone and four of his contemporaries: William Calk, Enoch Smith, Robert Whitledge, and Issac Davis, explored the untouched wilderness at this edge of Central Kentucky. Here, according to legend, bluegrass was first noticed at a salt spring. Because of its geographical location, this area became the Gateway to the Mountains and the Bluegrass.
In those early days, hunters and surveyors traveling the Old Harper’s Trace that led from Boonesbourough to this part of the country, passed by a large mound about 125 feet high and covered with great trees like those in the surrounding forests. They called it The Little Mountain. Later excavations proved the mound to be a burial site of an ancient tribe of mound builders. This mound stood at what is now the intersection of Queen and Locust Streets in Mount Sterling.